Requirements to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) / registered dietitian (RD):
- Minimum of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university recognized by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics*
- DPD verification statement from a program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- Successful application/placement with an ACEND-accredited dietetic internship program
- Meet all dietetic internship supervised practice and completion requirements to obtain a verification statement
- Along with DI Program Director, complete eligibility application process with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) https://www.cdrnet.org/program-director/dietetics-program-students-and-graduates
- Successfully pass the registration examination for dietitians to obtain the RDN/RD credential*
*Please note RDN and RD are two credential designation options for one certification program. Practitioners may choose to use one or the other. https://www.cdrnet.org/news/rdncredentialfaq
- Maintain RDN/RD credential: https://www.cdrnet.org/maintain
- In most states, graduates also must obtain licensure or certification to practice. For more information about state licensure requirements, visit: https://www.cdrnet.org/state-licensure
* Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). In order to be approved for registration examination eligibility with a bachelor’s degree, an individual must meet all eligibility requirements and be submitted into CDR's Registration Eligibility Processing System (REPS) before 12:00 midnight Central Time, December 31, 2023. For more information about this requirement visit CDR's website: https://www.cdrnet.org/graduatedegree.
For more information about educational pathways to become a RDN click here.