- Competencies for dietetics practice are facilitated, enhanced and achieved by well-defined and supervised internship experiences.
- Interns benefit more from learning experiences when they have the opportunity to tailor the required experiences to their needs and interests.
- Attainment of entry-level performance requirements for dietetics practice is enhanced by the variety of opportunities offered to interns within an innovative, diverse, and well-rounded internship.
- The interests of the interns and the public are best served through collaboration of University units and the community.
- Commitment to ongoing evaluation and planning is necessary to assure program quality.
Consistent with the missions of the University of Minnesota, College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resources Scienceand Department of Food Science and Nutrition, the mission of the U of M DI Program is to maintain a progressive and effective program which integrates didactic education, public service, and supervised practice to develop competent entry-level dietitians with the knowledge and skills necessary to satisfy and improve the food, health and nutritional needs of diverse communities in Minnesota and the nation.
Our primary goal is to maintain an effective dietetic internship program to prepare graduates with the professional knowledge and skills to be competent entry-level Registered Dietitians. Goal details and program outcomes data are available upon request.
By the end of the internship, graduates will:
- Communicate effectively with healthcare professionals and lay audiences.
- Manage nutrition care for individuals and population groups of diversity across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate the ability to use management and leadership techniques effectively.
- Be prepared to satisfy and improve the employment, health and nutritional needs of communities in Minnesota and the nation.
We expect our interns to act in a professional manner. This includes dressing professionally, arriving on time, completing projects and assignments by the due dates, and communicating effectively with others. In short, we expect a complete commitment to the internship.
We expect high motivation and a desire to help others. We expect an ongoing willingness to learn, accept challenges, and grow in skill and compassion. We require that interns uphold the confidentiality of all clients, and follow the U of M DI Program’s Mission, Goals, Policies and Procedures, as well as requirements stated at each of our affiliated sites.